Re: A priori requirement

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:29:07 -0400
To: "Munter, Joel D" <joel.d.munter@intel.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Hi Joel,

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:59:22PM -0700, Munter, Joel D wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Are you recommending that a standard set of methods would be suggested (not
> mandated) within our reference architecture for all web services?  If you
> are, then would this list include methods such as a WbSversion, WbSreadme,
> etc.?

I was thinking more coarse-grained than what you suggest there (so as
to avoid lots of network round trips), but that's the basic idea.  I'm
also hoping that we can define methods to actually *use* the service
in some simple way.  I have some in mind, but I'll save them for later.
8-)

Also, if we keep the number of methods down, it will reduce the burden
on developers and so hopefully *all* (new) Web services will choose to
support them, in the same way that practically all Web resources support
GET despite it not being mandated.

BTW, this interface should also include standard faults, for representing
common error conditions for all Web services.