Re: Web Service Architecture Usage Scenarios editors copy available

David,

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 03:24:38PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> Further, wrt SOAP, the TAG has been asked, by a TAG member, to review SOAP
> 1.2 wrt web architecture.  The TAG hasn't yet issued a finding on this.
> It's premature to claim that various SOAP modelling styles are in violation
> of web architecture, given the TAG hasn't issued a finding on what you
> claim.

I'm not claiming that SOAP 1.2 is incompatible with Web architecture.
I know that it *is* compatible, because I helped ensure that it was with
my work on the XML Protocol WG (modulo the RPC section, which was
required by our charter).

I *am* claiming that people are using SOAP in a way that is not Web
architecture friendly, including the examples in our use cases.

As Roy said;

"The difference between an application-level
protocol and a transport-level protocol is that an application-level
includes application semantics, by standard agreement, within
the messages that the protocol transfers.  That is why HTTP is called
a Transfer protocol.  It is impossible to conform to an
application-level protocol without also conforming faithfully to
its message semantics."
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Apr/0303.html

> And whether a stock classifies an "important" resource wrt URI assignment is
> debatable.

Seriously?  If so, I formally request that we request clarification from
the TAG.  I would be happy to draft the request.

> Let's let the TAG do the work in their forum and when they come out with
> more definitive work, then we can look at the examples.  That work for you?

I'm looking forward to their findings, but no, I'm afraid that I'm not
content to wait until after we've chartered working groups that may or
not have anything to do with the Web.