RE: D-AG0016 - Technology Gaps

Yes, I include interoperability across platforms/applications/programming
languages,
and going by the current definition of Web Services, interoperability will
be
via "vendor/platform/language-neutral data interchange" of messages "using a

rigorously defined message exchange pattern".

The boundary between the two groups is therefore that presented by the
web service interface.

There are two aspects to each of the architectural and technology gaps,
depending on the interoperating parties.
One is where the interoperating parties are from two different standards
groups, each formulating their own web services architecture and
technologies.
For this class of interoperating parties, by
- "architectural gap", I mean the gap caused by a difference in web services
architect of the two groups (e.g. difference in naming or identification
systems used).
- "technology gap", I mean the gap caused by a difference in the two groups'
technology that is layered over the architect.  E.g. each group may design
its own version of WSDL or its own discovery registry.

The second situation is where the interoperating parties are businesses or
organizations that want to collaborate on a work process that encompasses
more than the single business or organization.
For this class of interoperating parties, by
- "architectural gap", I mean the gap caused by missing pieces in web
services
architect of this group that prevents end user collaboration.
- "technology gap", I mean the gap caused by missing pieces in this group's
technologies that are layered over the architect that prevents end user
collaboration.

Now that you have pointed out "technical interoperability requirements by
standards-based remedies", I think the term "standards-based remedies" is
too open.  Who defines whose "standards" these remedies should be based on?

So I propose changing D-AG0016 - Technology Gaps
"identify architectural and technology gaps that prevent interoperability;
 identify existing W3C technologies that support interoperability;
and recommend formation of new working groups to formulate remedies for
 filling the gaps".

The above hopefully will address Prasad's point.

Regards,
Yin Leng