Let's play "interpret the charter"!

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:40:40 -0500 (EST)
To: Austin.D@ic.grainger.com (Austin Daniel)
Cc: david.orchard@bea.com ('David Orchard'), www-ws-arch@w3.org
I've just had a closer look at the charter and believe I can shed some
light on this issue.

The wording in the charter says that it is a goal that;

  "The set of technologies identified must be based on XML."

The context for "set of technologies identified" is listed in the
previous goal;

  "The architecture described must be modular: a set of technologies
   will need to be described to address individual functionalities
   identified by the architecture document."

Putting those together, I take them to mean that as we define the
architecture, we will identify certain required technologies.  Since we
cannot build any technologies ourselves, all we can do is identify
pre-existing ones, or identify the need for new ones to be created.
Therefore, if we identify any existing technologies to be reused, they
must be based on XML.  While I don't think that even this is a good
idea, it's a far cry from what we've been discussing here.

It doesn't appear as though the charter has *anything* to say about the
definition of Web services with respect to the use of XML.