D-AC004 Status

From: <michael.mahan@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:36:23 -0400
To: <www-ws-arch@w3c.org>

Chris asked me to summarize the thread for the telecon. As I see it,
here is what is still standing:

AC004:
does not preclude any programming model

AR004.1:
support (but not define) a broad range of programming models suitable
for Web Services applications.

New CSF X:
is comprised of loosely-coupled components and their
interrelationships.
(still some haggle over terminology here)

Note that the below reqs have been renumbered for better clustering!

AR00X.1:
components are defined in terms of unambiguous, well-defined interfaces.

AR00X.2:
components are described by their functional roles and responsibilities.

AR00X.3:
component interfaces define their inputs and outputs and also the form and
constraints on those inputs and outputs.
(need original author's intent on the term 'form')

AR00X.4: (this still needs work)
component relationships are described in terms of messages and message
transmission protocols. (original)
OR
relationships between components must be well described
(suggested, I feel this is not enough)

AR00X.5:
messages are transmitted and consumed by the component interfaces that
make up the architecture.
(note: critized as too apple mom and pie)

AR00X.6:
support XML based techniques for defining messages/protocols for invoking
web resources. (was D-AR004.3 + s/use/support/)

AR00X.7:
support both early and late client binding to web services.

AR00X7.1:
defines or identifies a base interface that all Web services can implement,
that permits communication without a priori knowledge of the service. (was
D-AR003.6)