Re: A viewpoint on harvesting REST

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:06:10 -0400
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 12:40:37PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> I think there's a whole transport binding framework in SOAP 1.2 that allows
> SOAP to be treated as a layer.  You might disagree with it, but it's
> certainly in the spec.

No, I fully support the binding framework, but we stopped calling it
the *transport* binding framework long ago, for good reason.  It
doesn't require that SOAP be a layer, though you're perfectly free
to define a binding that treats it this way.  For example, the way in
which SOAP 1.0 used HTTP was done like this (200 response code for
everything, including faults).

Best current practice with bindings, as seen in the default HTTP
binding, is to *integrate* SOAP with the underlying protocol, not layer
it on top.  The Web Method feature is the most obvious indication of
this, but the use of HTTP response codes other than 200 also suggests
it.