RE: Seeking closure on D-AR019.1.1 and D-AR019.1.3

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 4:21 PM
To: Damodaran, Suresh
Cc: WSA W3C Public (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Seeking closure on D-AR019.1.1 and D-AR019.1.3

[snip]
In my view, the end goal here is to be able to *do things* reliably.
 <sd> fair enough </sd>

For example, ensure that both the customer and vendor agree that 4 pairs
of shoes have been ordered.  Reliable messaging is one way of doing
that, but there are other ways that have demonstrated success over the
Internet (where reliable messaging has not, despite attempts to deploy
it) - in particular, coordination languages in the form of application
protocols.

<sd> What is meant by "coordination languages in the form of application
protocols?" Is httpr something you are thinking of?, Or, something else?

I remember you mentioning tuple space computing(a la Linda) - is that
something you are
thinking of? Wouldn't you need messages and using messages to "actuate"
processing
in a distributed world, irrespective of how you define the behavior
semantics?
</sd>

Cheers,

-Suresh