Re: Asynchronous Web Services

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:15:42 -0700
To: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

David Booth wrote:
> We are accustomed to thinking of a URI (well, a URL actually) as being the
> address of a document.  But in fact, a URI really *is* a key, in the
> database sense.  The difference between a traditional database key and a
> URI is its scope.  A database key is a unique identifier for something that
> lives within the very limited scope of a particular database -- not the
> world as a whole -- and is difficult to use sensibly outside of that
> scope.  A URI is a unique identifier for something that lives within the
> global scope of the World Wide Web.  It is globally unique, which makes it
> easy to use sensibly in new contexts beyond the limited scope of the
> initial application.  This will be particularly important in Web Services,
> as smaller Services are combined in new ways to make larger Services.

I hate to say "I agree" but I agree so emphatically that I can't avoid
it. A URI is a key with global scope and an HTTP URI is a key that can
be introspected to get more information. In the case of conversations:
"Is this conversation still live?" "What happened in that conversation?"
"Who are the participants in this conversation?" RDF allows third
parties to also add their two cents.

Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com
  Extreme Markup: Aug 4-9, 2002,  www.extrememarkup.com/extreme/