Re: REST, Conversations and Reliability

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:17:01 -0700
To: "Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
CC: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

"Burdett, David" wrote:

> This work group seems to be degenerating into a REST vs SOAP debate ...
> which is very, very sad ;(
>
> Judging by the conviction of people such as Paul below I am sure that REST
> can do all the things that SOAP can do.

REST is an architectural style. SOAP is a syntax. The current SOAP
specification has quite reasonable support for the REST architectural
style.

> They might even do them better - I don't really care.

Despite the fact that SOAP can be used by REST, I personally find it
disappointing to learn that there are member reps who are not motivated
by technical quality.
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com