Re: Harvesting REST

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:08:39PM -0600, Narahari, Sateesh wrote:
> how did constraints morph into features?. If we are talking about
> feature/functions of what Webservices need to offer, then I do not think any
> of these fit the bill. I am not sure if REST can be harvested for features.

"feature" has a pretty weak definition, so it's really hard to say what
is and what isn't one.  You may well be right, who knows.  I was just
looking for easily observable aspects of the system.

> Its nice to have constraints, but before we impose constraints such as
> generic interface, it helps to pick an architectural style. Without
> direction from TAG or WSArch team about the architectural style for web
> services, talking about REST or C2 or ABAS etc doesn't make lot of sense,
> IMO.

To be clear, this task was just for me to attempt to harvest the Web,
which was easy because Roy already did it and called it REST.  This
message wasn't meant to impose anything, only to identify features and
architectural constraints of some existing systems and technologies.
That in no way implies that everything the harvesting team identifies
has to be incorporated into the Web services architecture.