RE: Harvesting REST

From: Narahari, Sateesh <Sateesh_Narahari@jdedwards.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:08:39 -0600
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

> "features", as I understand what it is that we're mining, are
> difficult
> to extract from an architecture.  But looking at the Web through REST
> eyes, I'd say that the following could be considered features, even
> though some are also listed above;
>
> - generic interface
> - intermediaries
> - stateless interaction
> - visibility of messages too all components
> - caching
> - data streams as arguments

how did constraints morph into features?. If we are talking about
feature/functions of what Webservices need to offer, then I do not think any
of these fit the bill. I am not sure if REST can be harvested for features.

Its nice to have constraints, but before we impose constraints such as
generic interface, it helps to pick an architectural style. Without
direction from TAG or WSArch team about the architectural style for web
services, talking about REST or C2 or ABAS etc doesn't make lot of sense,
IMO.

Sateesh