Re: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:36:03AM -0400, Walden Mathews wrote:
> > Perhaps, but I doubt it.  Any use of "reliable messaging" I've seen
> > assumes that its job is to make the cruel and nasty network look (to
> > varying degrees) less cruel and nasty.  It is this premise that I
> > believe is fundamentally flawed.
>
> Mark, this I don't get.  TCP certainly  makes a datagram network look
> "less cruel and nasty", if you're in the right market.  And HTTP standard
> implementation is over TCP, not UDP (I've read up on experimental hybrid
> stuff).  Unless I misunderstand, REST is built upon a level of reliability,
> and it sounds like the same level of reliability being discussed here.

Yes, perhaps I wasn't clear that I was talking about messaging.  TCP
addresses a much more specialized form of reliability than reliable
messaging (I assume this is what you meant by "in the right market"?),
as it is only a point-to-point, connection based solution.  By not
trying to solve the general reliable, any-to-any, extensible QoS
problem, TCP became a workable solution, and has actually become even
more general over time through extension (though still not world-
beating 8-).