RE: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@ilx.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:36:03 -0400
To: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

> > Would some of this problem go away if we were more in
> agreement about what
> > "reliable messaging" means?
>
> Perhaps, but I doubt it.  Any use of "reliable messaging" I've seen
> assumes that its job is to make the cruel and nasty network look (to
> varying degrees) less cruel and nasty.  It is this premise that I
> believe is fundamentally flawed.

Mark, this I don't get.  TCP certainly  makes a datagram network look
"less cruel and nasty", if you're in the right market.  And HTTP standard
implementation is over TCP, not UDP (I've read up on experimental hybrid
stuff).  Unless I misunderstand, REST is built upon a level of reliability,
and it sounds like the same level of reliability being discussed here.

Walden