Re: [RTF] AC019 proposal to WSA WG

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:40:08 -0400
To: "Damodaran, Suresh" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:08:41PM -0500, Damodaran, Suresh wrote:
> "reliable co-ordination of tasks" - what are tasks?
> Co-ordination involves description of public processes in some flow
> language.

I mean it in the "coordination language" sense of distributed computing,
ala Linda, CLF, HTTP.

> (also known in B2B circles as "collaborative business process description").
> I would still prefer "reliable messaging"- it means something well defined.

Yes, but it also means something that is irrelevant to many
architectural styles, in particular REST.  For example, it doesn't
matter whether a GET or PUT message was delivered reliably or not,
because you can just send another one (they're idempotent).

Please try to work with me on the language.  The alternative may be to
remove it altogether, because this is a lie-down-in-the-road issue for
me.