RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

Whoa, hold on a second, this discussion is giving me "what is an object"
flashbacks...OK, I think I'm better now. :-)

I think Web Services have three key elements:

1) Identified by URI
2) Accessible via standard web protocols
3) Capable of interacting with applications and programs that are not
directly human-driven user interfaces, e.g. web browsers

So, Mike, just thinking out load here, but if we tweak your definition
that currently appears in the editor draft requirements:

"A web service is a software application or component identified by a
URI that other software applications or components can directly interact
with via web-based protocols, where said interactions do not require
direct human involvement."

Broad? Yes. But I think it's necessary to be broad. I don't believe you
can define the basis of web services in terms of standards or
technologies, other than the web itself (which is OK given that "web"
already appears in its name). For example, objects are not defined in
terms or CORBA or Java specifications. Java objects are defined in terms
of Java, and CORBA objects are defined in terms of CORBA, but plain old
objects are defined essentially in plain old terms. Similarly, perhaps
we need both a broad definition like the one above, and then a separate
"W3C Web Services" definition made tighter by basing it on relevant W3C
standards.

--steve