Is (sender-side) persistent storage needed for Reliable Messaging ??

Can someone elaborate why this is a need of persistent storage at the
sender side (as said in ebXML spec) ?  I don't see such need because if the
client system crash before getting the ACK, the message delivery status is
"in-doubt" and the client side application has to find it out by himself
anyway.

Rgds, Ricky