Fwd: Semantics and Web services

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dave Hollander <dmh@contivo.com>
> Date: Tue Dec 10, 2002  6:12:46  PM US/Pacific
> To: w3c-ws-arch@w3.org
> Subject: RE: Semantics and Web services
>

> Agree - "it is naive to believe that you have solved the semantics
> issue by simply allowing for the semantics of a web service to be
> identified."
>
> But I believe we also agreed that solving the semantics issue is
> out of scope for the wsawg.  Hence the statement that we would
> identfy pointer to semantics and some structure for saying these
> point to "semantics containing items".

Stipulated. But then what? This entire discussion is intended to see if
there is scope for a spin-off activity to focus on actually doing the
semantics.

And, BTW, I believe that there is considerable energy for doing this;
it is simply that the overlap of potential members of such a group and
the current WSA WG may be limited. But that's OK; we saw that that
would be true for choreography also.

> To go much further would require us to establish how to manage the
> intersection/overlap with the semantic web activity. Any volunteers
> for a joint task force?

I am pretty nervous about this aspect. There is a definite requirement
coming from Web services; and, on the other hand, we have a kind of
`offer of technology' from the Semantic Web direction. However, I have
sufficient doubts about their technology choices that I would prefer to
see some separation also. (I.e., one fight at a time please)

Frank