From: Champion, Mike [mailto:Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:53 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: "Reliable" web services for Next Big Thing? (was RE: Agenda for
5 December WSA telcon)

Yup. This is another one of those densely interconnected
clusters of issues (sortof like "choreography"): "Asynchrony"
is associated with it (without a reliable substrate, senders
and receivers can talk "out of band" to ensure that messages
were received), it's tangled up with Coordination and Transactions
because Web service invocations can fail for all sorts of reasons
besides messages not being delivered,  and we are sure to hear
from the RESTifarians that the whole idea of supporting reliability
in the infrastructure rather than the application is counter
to the One True Web Architecture.

Can we just focus on "reliable messaging" (AFAIK, a guarantee that
a SOAP message will arrive either 0 or 1 times at its destination,
and the sender will be unambiguously informed which it was), or
is the larger architectural question of "reliability" something
we can dig into?

So, consider this topic officially open for public discussion!