RE: Reliable messaging

Specifically, you can ask the receiver. ebXML defined a status message and
response that
could be used to determine the outcome of a given message.

Of course, there are always failure modes that leave the sender indoubt as
to the disposition
(e.g. the receiver is unresponsive) If prolonged, it can leave the sender
in an indoubt state
longer than it is willing to remain so at which time the human responsible
for the sender picks
up the phone:)

The whole point is to minimize the probability that the sender will remain
in such a state.

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

"Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com> wrote on
08/29/2002 04:29:00 PM:

> I know of mechanisms that, if successful, will assure the sender that
the message HAS been
> received.  I do not know of any mechanism that will allow the sender to
know that the message has
> NOT been received.  The ebXML spec most certainly does not.  So I
believe that the word "whether"