Re: Web service definition

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:22:15AM -0400, Christopher B Ferris wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You aren't helping the process by simply tearing down. Suggesting
> improvements
> on the proposal would be far more productive.

Chris, not only are we on a break where substantive decisions cannot be
made, I believe I am helping the process by suggesting we incrementally
improve upon something that was painstakingly constructed (surely you
haven't forgotten the "definition wars"? 8-).

> I would suggest that we should try to improve upon what we agree is a
> flawed
> definition (that which is currently documented in the Requirements doc)
> taking
> Geoff's proposal as a start.
>
> Given your feedback, I would offer the following amended definition:
>
>       Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a
>       URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined and described
>       using XML artifacts. This definition can be discovered by other
> software
>       applications which may then interact with the Web service, through
>       the exchange of XML based messages via internet protocols, in a
>       manner prescribed by its definition.

This is definitely an improvement, but IMO, it now says pretty much
what the existing one says.  Is that what you intended?  What specific
value-add do you feel that this definition provides over the existing
one?