Re: Web service definition

Mark,

You aren't helping the process by simply tearing down. Suggesting
improvements
on the proposal would be far more productive.

I would suggest that we should try to improve upon what we agree is a
flawed
definition (that which is currently documented in the Requirements doc)
taking
Geoff's proposal as a start.

Given your feedback, I would offer the following amended definition:

      Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a
      URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined and described
      using XML artifacts. This definition can be discovered by other
software
      applications which may then interact with the Web service, through
      the exchange of XML based messages via internet protocols, in a
      manner prescribed by its definition.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

                      Mark Baker
                      <distobj@acm.org>        To:       Geoff Arnold <Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM>
                      Sent by:                 cc:       www-ws-arch@w3.org
                      www-ws-arch-reque        Subject:  Re: Web service definition
                      st@w3.org

                      08/11/2002 03:25
                      PM

Let's just look at the first sentence;

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:12:07AM -0400, Geoff Arnold wrote:
> NEW: Definition: A Web service is a software application identified by a
>       URI, whose interfaces and bindings are defined in terms of XML
> based
>       messages transported by internet protocols.

In addition to excluding the use of application protocols by using the
word "transport", it also says that the interfaces are defined in terms
of messages, which is quite different than the current definition and
arguably incorrect.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing that the existing definition is perfect.  It has
*lots* of problems of its own.  But the proposed one is *substantially*
different, and given the detail that we went into to come up with what
we have now, I would strongly recommend small, incremental changes.