Re: [Fwd: Re: OWL WG comments on QA Documents]

FYI

The QAWG has now acted on our comments and publish a new document
(QA Handbook) [1] which replaces the QA Operational Guidelines (which we
commented on).

I have read this, and reviewed our comments [2]
- of which only two seem to still be pertinent in part:

1)
[[
QA moderator -  This seems to be a pseudonym for a TM development
lead.  If that is what is meant, then why obfuscate by using the
broader term?
]]
Their resolution [3] indicates they will review this later.

and
2)
[[
Bootstrapping - These guidelines require that considerable planning and
assignment of resources take place prior to chartering a WG.  There
are several dangers with such an approach: 1) the weight of work and
high commitment requirements prior to chartering could doom the
chartering process to failure, 2) planning of work and assignment of
resources prior to WG formation could result in poor choices since the
membership of the group was not yet even determined much less reached
any common set of thinking, and 3) those members of the WG who had not
been involved in its chartering would feel no ownership or
commitment to plans made prior to their involvement.
]]
While the new handbook removes the *requirement*, points 2) and 3) of
our comment could be made more explicitly in their text.

Overall, I think it would be churlish of us to mention these quibbles as
a group. I suggest that our response should follow the positive tone set
by Evan, combined with congratulations on their new document.

I am in the process of reviewing QAH and have other editorial comments
to make (my rough notes [4]), and will include the above observations
(as personal comments).

Jeremy

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qa-handbook-20040510/