Re: lines too long in S&AS section 2?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: lines too long in S&AS section 2?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:49:34 +0300

> This is an editorial comment on
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-owl-semantics-20030818/syntax.html
>
> Using Internet Explorer 5.5 I printed off this document in order to make a
> detailed comparison between the grammar and the one in the Jena
> implementation.

Hmm.  I seem to remember some comment about not being willing to support
broken browsers.  :-)

> Unfortunately about a dozen lines in the grammar rules were too long and got
> truncated in the print-out.
>
> e.g.
> the rule for individual, the axiom for the 'CLass(' construction (both Lite
> and DL), the second rule for restriction, the first line of both the
> DatatypeProperty and ObjectProperty rules, th eENumeratedClass rule
>
> (and some others, which I could detail if helpful).
>
> I have worked around this problem by printing in landscape mode rather than
> portrait.
>
> I wonder whether changes in the whitespace in the document might be in order.
> (Or perhaps including a note with the suggestion of landscape mode printing,
> for those, like me, who use software that does not correct this problem
> automatically).
>
> Apologies if this is a duplicate - I have not tracked all comments on S&AS.
>
> Jeremy

The issue here is determining just how to get EBNF productions into HTML.
I used a simple solution that uses <pre>.  I have fiddled with the
formatting to work when I print out the document, but I do use small fonts.

If someone has a better solution that works for a variety of browsers and
settings, please let me know.