Re: description-logic/consistency605

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:25:51 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

On September 13, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> Charles:
> > Note the two instances of /2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty - is that correct?
> > I don't think so.
> > I would be surprised if anyones parser would pass this.
>
>  </rdfs:subPropertyOf>
>   <rdf:type rdf:resource="/2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty"/>
>  </owl:ObjectProperty>
>  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://oiled.man.example.net/test#rxa"/>
>  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://oiled.man.example.net/test#rx">
>   <rdf:type rdf:resource="/2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty"/>
>  </owl:ObjectProperty>
>
> > Can someone in the know check this out?
>

> Technically these are fine.
>
> The form /2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty is a relative URI which resolves
> against the base URI of
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/description-logic/consistent605
>
> as
> http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty
>
> I agree these forms are surpising, we could modify
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#style
> appendix B stylistic preferences,
> perhaps by adding a sentence to section B.2 on xml:base e.g.
>
> [[
> Relative URIs used in the tests should not begin with "/" or ".".
> ]]
>
> If we agreed that then the change to description-logic-605 and and other
> affected tests would be editorial.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion.
>
> Peter and Ian both spoke recently strongly opposing making some other tests
> easier. I wonder if they would oppose this change too. It would make this
> test easier, but perhaps in an area where the WG does not want to include
> unnecessary difficulties.
>
> (I am neutral - HP software deals with this fine, but I don't see it as
> critical to not simplify this test)

I have always argued for making the *syntax* as simple as possible, so
I don't have a serious problem with the proposed change. However, if
the current tests remain legal syntax (even if they don't conform to
the preferred style), then I believe that we should keep at least one
example in the test suite.

Ian