RE: [protege-discussion] Re: Roles and Classes

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:42:57 -0500
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: protege-discussion@SMI.Stanford.EDU, www-webont-wg@w3.org

[hmm... crossposting is awkward. And it's not clear
that this is WG business. Consider using www-rdf-logic
or public-webont-comments in the future, please.]

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 08:36, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Following my previous question I cc to WebOnt group for further inquiry
>
> > I've not checked if a sameAs declaration
> > between two instances of disjoint classes
> > is detected as an error.
>
> It is not :(
>
> I can create the following without problem under Protégé and export it in
> OWL syntax.
>
>     <owl:Class rdf:ID="Man"/>
>     <owl:Class rdf:ID="Woman">
>         <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource="#Man"/>
>     </owl:Class>
>     <Man rdf:ID="John"/>
>     <Woman rdf:ID="Linda">
>         <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="#John"/>
>     </Woman>

Does Protege claim to export only consistent ontologies?

> Which seems clearly inconsistent IMO. This inconsistenvy is not detected by
> OWL validators as well, such as http://owl.bbn.com/validator/

I don't believe that tool claims any sort of completeness.

Perhaps "validator" is a misleading term. It's not defined
in the specs. The spec uses terms like "complete OWL DL
consistency checker".