W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > November 2003

Re: MINUES: Teleconference revised Oct 30, 2003.

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:59:38 +0100
Message-ID: <3FB2129A.6020407@cs.vu.nl>
To: "Smith, Michael K" <michael.smith@eds.com>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

Small correction, see summary of continued actions below.
Guus

Smith, Michael K wrote:
> MINUTES: Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group
> Oct 30, 2003, 1200 (East US), 0900 (West US). 1700 (London)
> Revised 1 Nov 2003.
> 
> IRC Chat: irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665), #webont
> 
> Chair: Schreiber
> Scribe: Mike Smith
> 
> 1.0 Admin
> 
> Role Call
> 
> Present: Dan Connolly, Guus Schreiber, Deb McGuinness, Charles White,
> Ian Horrocks, Jeremy Carroll, Evan Wallace, Mike Smith, Shawn Bechhofer,
> Mike Dean, Chris Welty, Herman ter Horst, Sandro Hawke.
> 
> Regrets: Hendler, Sabbouh, Heflin, DeRoo
> 
> Next Call
> November 13 2003
> Chair: Hendler
> Scribe: TBD
> 
> Approve as minutes of Oct 9 meeting
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0113.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0113.html> 
> ACCEPTED
> 
> 
> 2.0 Approvals and Action Item Summary.
> 
> APPROVED
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Approve tests cases as described in 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html> 
> Note that Thing-001 is not part of this proposal.
> APPROVED by consensus
> 
> B.2 Datatype triple proposal in 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 
> APPROVED by consensus.
> 
> B.1 URIs as annotations.  
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 
> URI's used as object of annotation property do not need to be typed.
> APPROVED by consensus.
> 
> 4.2 Proposed change to OWL DL Semantics (Ian)
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html> 
> Thing must be non-empty.
> APPROVED by consensus.  Jeremy Carroll abstained.
> 
> RDF Concepts document.  Reviewed by Jim Hendler.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html> 
> Proposal to submit to RDF
> APPROVED by consensus
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> DONE:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ACTION Jim: review LC2 RDF Concepts
> ACTION MikeD: see whether DAML can provide some support for OWL
>        outreach DAML PI meeting discussed open source sem web site
>        focused on tools. Ontology library as part?
> ACTION jjc: update test spec with approvals
> ACTION IanH: to write up proposal/rationale for change in
>        semantics of ontology consistency
> ACTION jjc: Update tests Ontology-002, Ontology-003
> ACTION DanC: ask Evan Wallace to participate in WebOnt review of QA OPS
> guidelines
>        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0216.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0216.html> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> CONTINUED:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ACTION DanC: turn Ian's reviews into test cases
> ACTION Guus: review LC2 RDF schema when it comes
> ACTION Herman: to review RDF semantics doc
> ACTION jimH: ask mindswap for review of Sean's doc
> ACTION guus: ask peter for review of Shawn B. document.
> ACTION jjc: review sean's document
> ACTION Guus: see whether ontoweb can provide some support for OWL outreach
> ACTION ChrisW: to write up draft of working group position on OMG
>        ontology metamodel definition in general and on OKBC in particular
> ACTION Guus: to comment on naturalness of mapping from OWL to UML
> ACTION Jos: make additional query-style tests
> ACTION JimH: to reply to comment on allDisjoint 
> ACTION Sandro: Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWLFull 
> ACTION Jeremy: to talk to Jena team about Full subset implementations
> ACTION Jim: to talk to Pellet team about Full subset implementations
> ACTION DanC: arrange for redirect (of old versions of Guide)
> ACTION Guus: to send reply to Brickley's owl:Class/rdfs:Class comment
> ACTION Jeremy: to add a new test that highlights one of the issues in
>        message
>        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001> 

Add (see item 7 below):

ACTION Evan W. and Jeremy C.  Do review per Jeremy's msg (Sep 0126).
Expect completion by Nov 27.

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> NEW:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ACTION Jeremy C: will update test doc accordingly.
> ACTION Jeremy C: to send email re precise change to S&AS.
> ACTION Ian H: Modify S&AS re B.2, Datatype triples.
> ACTION Mike Smith: Update Issue 5.26.
> ACTION Jeremy C: Change Annotation-Proprety-003.
> ACTION Ian H: Modify S&AS (section 3 and 5), Thing non-empty.
> ACTION Jeremy C: Clone Test Thing-001.
> ACTION Guus to complete review of RDF Schema and send post Mike D. review
> ACTION Mike Dean to check review of RDF Schema.
> ACTION Guus S.  Put coordination of RDF/OWL publication citations on agenda 
>        of semantic web coordination group.
> ACTION Sean to format his document according to W3C.
> ACTION Guus - Initiate discussion of what we expect of an ontology
>        library/directory at a W3C site.



> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 3. TEST CASES
> 
> Approv tests cases -
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html> 
> Note that Thing-001 is not part of this proposal.
> Resolved by consensus
> 
> NEW ACTION Jeremy will update test doc accordingly.
> 
> 
> 4. SEMANTICS ISSUES
> 
> 4.1 the resolution to untyped URIs (Jeremy)
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 
> 
> Peter and Jeremy agree re user defined URI and typed literal (see test
> I5.8-016).  Test reports mixed.  
> 
> B.2 datatypes in message 0153 - Datatype triples 
> Proposal in message 0153
> APPROVED by consensus.
> 
> NEW ACTION Jeremy C. to send email re precise change to S&AS.
> NEW ACTION Ian H. Modify S&AS.
> 
> B.1 in message 0153 - URIs as annotations.  Should be easy, should not
> have to type object.  (I.e. less restrictive than Issue 5.26).  Test
> case Annotation-Property-003 (should be Lite).
> URI's used as object of annotation property to not need to be typed.
> APPROVED by consensus.
> 
> NEW ACTION Mike Smith. Update Issue 5.26.
> NEW ACTION Jeremy C. Change Annotation-Proprety-003.
> 
> 4.2 Proposed change to OWL DL Semantics (Ian)
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html> 
> 
> Require that the extension of Thing be non-empty.  Lines up much
> better with standard usage (FOL and DL).
> 
> Proposal of 0167
> APPROVED by consensus.  Jeremy Carroll. abstain.
> 
> NEW ACTION Ian H. Modify S&AS (section 3 and 5).
> NEW ACTION Jeremy C. Clone Test Thing-001.
> 
> 
> 5. RDF CORE REVIEW
> 
> RDF Semantics Doc. review by ter Horst partially complete.  
> Will be complete by next week.
> 
> RDF Concepts document.  Reviewed by Jim Hendler.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html> 
> 
> Proposal to submit.
> APPROVED by consensus
> 
> RDF Schema review.  
> NEW ACTION Guus to complete review and send post Mike D. review
> NEW ACTION Mike Dean to check review.
> 
> Discussion.
> 
> Dan C.  How do we update RDF citatations in editors documents?
> Consensus seems to be to publish 2-7 days after RDF, with a
> simultaneous announcement.  Be prepared to update to the RDF last call
> documents.
> 
> NEW ACTION Guus S.  Put on agenda of semantic web coordination group.
> 
> 6. WG Technical report
>    Sean's Document
> 
> NEW ACTION Sean to format according to W3C.
> 
> Expect approval of publicaton at Nov 27 meeting.
> With publication expected after moratoriam, Nov 30.
> 
> 7. QA review
> 
> QA Group asked for review of their documents (Operational Guidelines)
> with emphasis on their checklists re working groups document
> production.  See Jeremy's msg of 9/12.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0126.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0126.html> 
> 
> ACTION Evan W. and Jeremy C.  Do review per Jeremy's msg.
> Continued.  Expect completion by Nov 27.
> 
> This was based on the action below, from the Sep 18 minutes.
> 
> ACTION DanC: ask Evan Wallace to participate in WebOnt review of QA OPS
> guidelines
>        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0216.html
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0216.html> 
> Done
> 
> 
> 
> 8. Outreach
> 
> Guus S. - Organized meeting at ISWC lunch.  Everyone mentioned OWL.
> ISWC had more people than expected (450).
> 
> Semantic Web Challenge. 10 submissions.  Light weight ontologies, with
> large vocabularies.  FrameNet (WordNet related) -> OWL.
> 
> DanC - Notes from the BOF Guus organized at ISWC 
> http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2003/10/21/2003-10-21.html#1066757340.001521
> <http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2003/10/21/2003-10-21.html#1066757340.001521> 
> 
> <DanCon> http://esw.w3.org/topic/PartWhole
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/PartWhole> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Semantic Web Coord. Group - asked Guus for proposal for new WG on Sem.
> Web Best Practices.
> 
> NEW ACTION Guus - Initiate discussion of what we expect of an ontology
> library/directory at a W3C site.
> 
> Chris W. - Begun part whole ontology Wiki.  Will send pointer to WG.
> See http://esw.w3.org/topic/PartWhole <http://esw.w3.org/topic/PartWhole> 
> 
> Ontoweb Special interest group.  Organized by Frank VanH.  
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Ehorrocks/OntoWeb/SIG/node10.html
> <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Ehorrocks/OntoWeb/SIG/node10.html> 
> 
> Mike D. - DAML PI - Mark Greaves.  Plans an updated web site with
> focus on open source tools.  'OWL Forge'.  Timeline - up by beginning
> of 2004.  Persistence to be determined.  (Sandro - W3C talking to Mark
> Greaves re coordination.)
> 
> 
> 9. AOB
> 

-- 
Free University Amsterdam, Computer Science
De Boelelaan 1081a, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/
Received on Wednesday, 12 November 2003 05:59:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:02 GMT