W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > March 2003

WebOnt telecon 13 March: minutes

From: <herman.ter.horst@philips.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:21:35 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF53DED87B.5F53E87D-ON41256CED.0032B2A2-C1256CED.003392AC@diamond.philips.com>

WEB ONTOLOGY WORKING GROUP
PRELIMINARY MINUTES
Telecon March 13, 2003

IRC LOG: http://www.w3.org/2003/03/13-webont-irc

Chair: Dan Connolly
Scribe: Herman ter Horst

1) ADMIN (10-15 min)

1.1 Role Call

Marwan Sabbouh, Dan Connolly, Herman ter Horst, Jean-Francois Baget, 
Peter Patel-Schneider, Ziv Hellman, Michael Smith, Sean Bechhofer, 
Ian Horrocks, Masahiro Hori, Mike Dean, Chris Welty, Ora Lassila,
Pat Hayes, Jonathan Borden, Deborah McGuinness, Yasser alSafadi,
Jeff Heflin, Ruediger Klein
Jim Hendler joined later

Regrets: Hendler, Obrst, Wallace, Carroll, Stanton, Finin, 
Thompson, De Roo

1.2 Approval of Minutes of last telecon

PROPOSED to accept the following as a true record of Feb 27:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0402.html

RESOLUTION: approved

1.3 Agenda Amendments

1.4 Telecon Schedule

Next telecon: March 20
Scribe: Ian Horrocks

2 ISSUE & ISSUETTES (30-35 min)

2.1 ISSUE 5.26 OWL DL Syntax

Context:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.26-OWLDLSyntax

PROPOSAL to RESOLVE [consensus from editors meetings]:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0066.html

RESOLUTION: unanimously accepted, minus points F.1, B.1 and B.2.
This does not close the issue.

See also message from Peter about new S&AS editor's draft:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0064.html


ACTIONS from editors meeting:

ACTION Peter, Jeremy:
Check the "no acylicity constraint" in owl:disjointWith
DONE

ACTION Peter, Jeremy:
review rdf:first and rdf:rest in annotations
DONE. Decision: no change

ACTION Peter:
remove restrictions with n=0
DONE

ACTION: Guus:
remove subProperty relationship between owl:priorVersion and
owl:backwardsCompatibleWith and owl:incompatibleWith
DONE

ACTION: Guus:
correct ontology domain and range constraints for owl:imports in owl.owl.
DONE

ACTION: Jeremy:
generate domain and range constraints test cases for owl:imports
CONTINUED

ACTION Peter:
check modifying rdf exclusion to a list of excluded items.
DONE

ACTION Peter and Jeremy:
discuss unnamed individuals.
DONE
Discussed between Peter and Jeremy: proposed to disallow them in sameAs 
and
differentFrom statements.

ACTION: Peter
allow optional objectProperty typing for special categories of object
properties.
CONTINUED

ACTION: Peter, Jeremy:
Peter to add triple table of Jeremy's after Jeremy updates.
CONTINUED

ACTION: Peter/Ian.
Check whether naming enumerated datatypes generates problems
DONE.  No change.
ACTION: Guus.
Add words to reference if change.
CONTINUED


2.2 XMLLiteral in OWL DL

Issuette by Carroll:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jan/0488.html

Request to RDF Core:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0076.html

Discussion notes at editors meeting (see Item 3):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0038.html

Reasons againts from Volz:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0035.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0039.html

Not discussed.

2.3 owl.owl

Message from Guus:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0068.html

Replies from Hendler, Carroll:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0071.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0069.html
Message from public comments list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003Mar/0006.html

Discussion topics:
- is owl.owl normative?
- explicit import expected?
- different versions for OWL Full/DL/Lite?
- use OWL to define OWL?

RESOLUTION: The Reference and Guide documents advise not to import
owl.owl in an OWL ontology
Accepted
Abstains: Dean, Baget, Heflin

3. DOCUMENT STATUS (30-35 min.)

For all docs discuss:
- status & outstanding actions
- editing/review effort required for LC

ACTION all editors: include member list in ack section
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0223.html
DONE
NEW ACTION Connolly: check that Test document
includes member list in ack section

3.1 Use Cases and Requirements
http://www.cse.lehigh.edu/~heflin/webont/reqdoc/

3.2 Overview
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/webont/OWLFeatureSynopsis.htm

ACTION: Deb to add a paragraph on RDFS vs. OWL Lite to Overview doc.
CONTINUED

3.3 Guide
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/guide-src/Guide.html

ACTION: pfps to send Mike S. answer re: annotation questions
DONE

3.4 Reference

ACTION: Jeremy/HP review Reference
CONTINUED

ACTION: Evan and Mike Dean to take MIME type and produce MIME type
doc
CONTINUED

ACTION: Jeremy to update discussion of relation between RDFS and OWL
Lite,  give quick comments.
CONTINUED
ACTION: Guus to review, add to the Reference document as Appendix.
CONTINUED
ACTION: Jim, Pat to review
CONTINUED

NEW ACTION: Welty to review Reference

3.5 S&AS
http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/

Summary of discussion:
Most work is needed to incorporate
- today's resolution on Issue 5.26, OWL DL syntax
- Jeremy's triple tables for DL and Lite as the new
version of Section 4.2, with accompanying proof of 
correctness (in an appendix) 
(see action already mentioned)
- changes in the RDF Semantics, as reflected
in the editor's version of that document

3.6 Test Cases

ACTION: Ian will look at section 4.2.2 of Test editor's draft and
propose some wording for what is expected of datatypes
DONE:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0045.html

3.7 Planning for LC

- strawpoll on LC decision
- timeline of LC Candidates

NEW ACTION Peter Patel-Schneider: make a proposal on XMLLiteral

4. AOB (0-5 min.)
Received on Tuesday, 18 March 2003 04:23:28 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:58 GMT