W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > June 2003

Re: issues with respect to the test cases overall manifest document

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 15:14:27 +0200
To: pfps@research.bell-labs.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF4A8CF6FF.D6E2BDEC-ONC1256D3E.0047BD21-C1256D3E.0048BCF3@agfa.be>


If I'm not mistaken, this is a machine generated file
(Jeremy did all that work and I'm very glad with that)
and mainly intended for machines; I believe there
is no false information in there; maybe there is some
information in there that is not very relevant (resulting
from some graph merging I guess) but at least my machine
is not having trouble with that (and it was a good test
case on its own btw, ie I found some bugs that way).
Anyhow a cleanup could be in order, what do you think
Jeremy?

--
Jos De Roo, AGFA http://www.agfa.com/w3c/jdroo/


                                                                                                                        
                    "Peter F.                                                                                           
                    Patel-Schneider"          To:     www-webont-wg@w3.org                                              
                    <pfps@research.bell       cc:                                                                       
                    -labs.com>                Subject:     issues with respect to the test cases overall manifest       
                    Sent by:                   document                                                                 
                    www-webont-wg-reque                                                                                 
                    st@w3.org                                                                                           
                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                        
                    2003-06-07 01:34 PM                                                                                 
                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                        





The test cases overall manifest document
(http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/Manifest.rdf) is not what I expected at
all.  I expected a document containing information about the test cases.

Instead, I found a very different document, at least for the first few
hundred lines.

The document contains, for example

<Ontology rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl"
     dc:publisher="W3C"
     dc:date="2003-02-10"
     dc:format="text/xml"
     dc:language="en"
     dc:identifier="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl">
    <versionInfo>March 18. 2003, GS</versionInfo>
    <imports rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema"/>
    <dc:title>Classes and properties for the Web Ontology Language
OWL</dc:title>
    <dc:creator>W3C Web Ontology (WebOnt) Working Group</dc:creator>
    <dc:subject>OWL; Web Ontology Language; Semantic Web</dc:subject>

    <dc:description>This file specifies in RDF Schema format the
    built-in classes and properties that together form the basis of
    the RDF/XML syntax of OWL Full, OWL DL and OWL Lite with the help
    of RDF Schema. We do not expect people to import this file
    explcitly into their ontology. People that do import this file
    should expect their ontology to be an OWL Full ontology.
  </dc:description>
  </Ontology>

What is this doing in a test cases manifest document?  It should be
removed.

The document also contains

<rdfs:Class rdf:about
="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#InverseFunctionalProperty"
     rdfs:label="InverseFunctionalProperty">
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource
="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property"/>
    <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl"/>
  </rdfs:Class>

and similar stuff for most, if not all, of the OWL vocabulary.  They all
should be removed.

The document also contains some data that looks as if it was generated from
some typo somewhere.  There is a namespace declaration for something that
looks like an old version of the DC vocabulary namespace

           xmlns:j.0="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/"

and

    <j.0:creator>Jos De Roo</j.0:creator>

This should removed.

The document is also sloppy with respect to RDFS classes and OWL classes.
For example,

 <rdfs:Class rdf:about
="http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/testOntology#NotOwlFeatureTest">
    <rdfs:comment>
This is a negative test. The input document contains some use of the
OWL namespace which is not a feature of OWL. These typically show
DAML+OIL features that are not being carried forward into OWL.
   </rdfs:comment>
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <Restriction>

        <cardinality rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        >1</cardinality>
        <onProperty rdf:resource="
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/testSchema#inputDocument"/>
      </Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </rdfs:Class>

should be an OWL class.
Received on Saturday, 7 June 2003 09:14:44 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:00 GMT