Re: Revisiting AllDisjoint (was Proposed (parital) response to Ken Laskey and questions for WG)

At 7:04 PM -0400 7/15/03, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Re: Revisiting AllDisjoint (was Proposed (parital) resOk, fair enough. I
>have no real opposition to AllDisjoint in any case. Its just that we've
>decided to trash other features (e.g. QCRs and structured datatypes) which
>aren't mere optimisations. But in all fairness the fact that I am concerned
>that we may not have made the ideal choice in the past doesn't mean I should
>object to our making the correct choice at this time. *

Jon-
  FWIW the reason I'm willing to consider this one is that we have
already worked out the syntactic details and parsers/implementors
will already need to handle something very similar -- i.e. we have

<owl:AllDifferent>   <owl:distinctMembers rdf:parseType="Collection">
<Opera rdf:about="#Don_Giovanni"/>     <Opera
rdf:about="#Nozze_di_Figaro"/>     <Opera
rdf:about="#Cosi_fan_tutte"/>     <Opera rdf:about="#Tosca"/>
<Opera rdf:about="#Turandot"/>     <Opera rdf:about="#Salome"/>
</owl:distinctMembers> </owl:AllDifferent>

and I would propose this one would be

<owl:AllDisjoint>
  <owl:distinctMembers rdf:parseType="Collection>
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Amphisbaenians">
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Sauria">
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Serpentes">
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Testudines">
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Crocodylia">
    <Taxa rdf:about="#Rhynchocephalia">
   </owl:distinctMembers>
</owl:AllDisjoint>

so it really is not breaking new ground or making a major semantic
change, and we already set the precedent for worrying about the N^2
growth of these things when we decided that we needed this for
allDifferent (and the evidence in that case was a list of about 100
users - so the scale is, in fact, at least similar).  We ruled out
adding "allSame" or the like because they didn't have the n^2 growth,
but this one does.
  -JH

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***