RE: question: datatype reasoning?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:25:16 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

>  Jeremy-
>   with due respect, I'm still not sure from your answer what the
> answer to my question is

No I didn't answer, I was just trying to clarify what a complete reasoner
would do. The statements X DL-entails Y are true whether or not we expect an
OWL implementation to be able to achieve them. I perhaps should have phrased
them as consistency tests, since we agreed to specify an OWL Consistency
Checker.

e.g.

><i> rdf:type
>   restriction(p, minCardinality=128 )

is consistent, but isn't if you increase the cardinality to 129.

I suspect the Lite consistency checks with XSD datatypes could plausibly be
hard coded. If I implemented any of the rest I would certainly consider
whether there was a research paper to write as well. I'm not an expert in
DL+datatypes, but I suspect I am well-versed in XSD.