RE: question: datatype reasoning?

As Jeremy points out, reasoning with datatypes can be
hard/problematical. Fortunately, OWL Lite and DL have a cunning design
such that reasoning with datatypes is separated from "abstract"
reasoning. This means that:

1. an OWL Lite/DL reasoner is complete iff both the abstract part and
datatype part are independently sound and complete.

2. we can easily formalise what constitutes an "admissible" datatype,
i.e., one for which it is theoretically possible to provide a sound
and complete reasoner (see [1]).

3. a limited (in terms of datatypes supported) and/or incomplete
datatype reasoner would introduce a limited and easily characterised
form of overall incompleteness.

I think that we can expect many implementations to support only a
subset of the available datatypes, but given the above design it will
be easy to inform users as to just what such reasoners can do and
where they will be incomplete.

Ian

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~panz/Zhilin/download/Paper/Pan-Horrocks-datatype-2002.pdf