Re: Reference, beginnings of HP review?

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:26:04 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: www-webont-wg@w3.org, bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> At 06:22 23/01/2003 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote to an HP list:
>
>>I volunteered an "HP review" (i.e. mine if no-one elses) of
>>
>>http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl-ref-proposed
>

> An initial (edited) reaction was
>
> ===
> The first thing I look at is:
>
>    http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl-ref-proposed#Class
>
> which begins:
>
> [[OWL classes are viewed as sets of individuals]]
>
> An OWL class is not a set, and to view it as such is WRONG!

I guess this is my fault. I agree the wording should be more careful,
maybe something like "One way of looking at a class ..", etc., while
also explaining the intensional view. The problem is that if you want to
explain to people how OWL classes work, the notion of a class as a set
of individuals is an absolute must for making soime sense. How can we
otherwise explain, for example, the notion of a owl:Restriction class?

> [see] previous reviews [..]
>

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2002Dec/0004.html
>

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003Jan/0001.html
>
> ===
>
> Could I ask that the editors check that these comments raised on previous
> versions have been addressed, or respond negatively on the comments list.
>
> Is this document stable enough to review yet?

Except for the change above, I think the document is ready for review
except for Sec. 6 and 7.

Guus

--
A. Th. Schreiber, SWI, University of Amsterdam,
http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/usr/Schreiber/home.html