Re: HP reactions to AS&S and OWL

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:30:55 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

At 17:07 +0000 1/14/03, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>I have been talking with immediate colleagues about where OWL is at,
>particularly the OWL Lite, OWL DL and OWL Full layering.
>
>The current reactions are not positive.
>
>I'll first discuss process, then sketch the substantive worries.

[snip]

>I have been unable to defend the chairs' enthusiasm for skipping CR;
>when we have so many unimplemented features in OWL. I can easily
>imagine a scenario in which OWL rushes to PR, some non-WG member
>objects that we have insufficient implementation experience; my AC
>rep asks for my opinion and I have to say that the objection is
>well-founded.

I'm confused Jeremy - we saw ample examples of implementation of OWL
tools at the f2f, and I'm still not sure what features of Lite you
believe are unimplemented.  I asked several times at the f2f for
people to bring up things they think are as yet unimplemented but
needed for moving to PR, and very few were mentioned - my lab took
two actions to produce some of this.  You brought up none and
volunteered none.  I have been drafting some starts at the
implementation experience, and I don't see any major holes -- please
identify any you have so we can start to fill them
  -JH

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler