how rdfs:Literal problems affect OWL semantics

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:10:56 -0500 (EST)
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

(I had the wrong URL for the document.  The correct URL is
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/.)

The Semantics document currently uses rdfs:Literal as the class of all
literals.   However, it is no longer the case that the class extension
rdfs:Literal is related at all to the set of all literals.

I think that I can fix the Semantics document (contrary to what I had just
thought) to eliminate the use of rdfs:Literal.  This is not ideal, I think,
and I would much prefer to use rdfs:Literal.

Separately, however, I believe there are serious bugs in the RDF MT related
to rdfs:Literal, which I mentioned to RDF Core.  These need to be fixed
before WebOnt gets to last call, as the Semantics document normatively
depends on the RDF model theory.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research