Re: Proposed Consensus Review of RDF Core Documents

At 12:53 +0000 2/20/03, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>>We have resolved that rdf:XMLLiteral will be a built-in datatype
>>>in OWL Lite, OWL DL and OWL Full contingent on a satisfactory
>>>response from RDF Core WG on this comment.
>>>

>>I don't remember this resolution.
>>

>Neither do I, the text was copied from a message from me proposing
>such a resolution, followed by proposing this comment.
>
>I wanted the comment to have the form of:
>- request a change (some sort of stick in hand here)
>- agree to use the changed mechanism (a carrot)

I see, can someone send me a proposed change that agrees with last
week's rdf:XMLLiteral resolution (I wasn't on the call, so I assumed
the above came from that resolution).  Otherwise I will just remove
this sentence.

>>>Raphael Volz of our group has prepared a detailed review of this
>>>document which he will send to the RDF Core WG.  The Web Ontology
>>>Working Group agrees with the spirit of his review and summarizes
>>>our comments below:
>>>
>>>i. Although this document is called RDF Schema we think that the
>>>title "RDF Vocabulary Description Language" would be clearer, and
>>>make the difference from XML Schema (used for validation) more
>>>evident.
>>>
>>>ii. The current design does not specify what the behavior is for
>>>domain/range constraints stated on super-properties wrt. to
>>>subproperties.  We would request that a default behavior be
>>>specified.
>>>

>>This paragraph does not address the issue that Raphael brought up.  The
>>interaction between domain/range constraints and sub-/super-properties is
>>well specified in the formal semantics, and not a separate problem.  The
>>problem has to do with Section 4 of the RDF Schema document, which vaguely
>>talks about RDF applications using domain/range constraints for things like
>>document validity checking.
>>

>I feel that the lack of consensus over section 4 should be made
>explicit - otherwise I feel a certain discomfort over the
>endorsement of his review.
>Personally I support the section 4 text as is.

I will remove this sentence

>>>-------------------------------------------
>>>Consensus comments on the RDF Semantics document
>>>--------------------------------------------
>>>We believe that the design of the semantics, as reflected in the
>>>LC documents, is such that OWL will be able to layer appropriately.
>>
>>The basic design of the semantics may be suitable, but there are many
>>problems in the details that affect OWL.  It might be able to layer OWL on
>>the semantics as described in the RDF Semantics last call working draft,
>>but it would require considerable work on our part to get around the errors
>>in that document.
>>

>>>However, we have a number of concerns that need to be addressed to
>>>improve the document (and, in particular, to fix some
>>>inconsistencies in the current document).
>>>
>>>Herman ter Horst of our group has prepared a detailed review of
>>>this document itemizing inconsistencies he has found.  The Web
>>>Ontology WG endorses the spirit of his review, and has asked
>>>Herman to help insure that the final RDF Semantics document is
>>>edited to fix the inconsistencies and editorial issues that he
>>>identifies.
>>>

>>You should mention here the many errors that I have found in this document,
>>most of which have been verified by Pat.  We might want to discuss my
>>current view of the way forward with respect to the RDF Semantics document
>>at the teleconference today.
>>
>>peter
>>

>I would suggest a phrase like "... working closely with the lead OWL
>semantics' editor to ensure that ...", since we desire this and it
>is likely to happen.

yes, see my response to Peter, I've already made this change.