>   :foo owl:imports <http://example.org/ontology>.
>   <http://example.org/ontology> rdf:type doc:Work.
>
> or
>
>   :foo owl:imports _:ontology.
>   _:ontology rdf:type owl:Ontology.
>
> and I prefer the latter
> with the dereferencing *explicit* via
>   <http://example.org/ontology> log:semantics _:ontology.

When I read the OWL Semantics concerning rdf:type, I see nothing that has to
do with any of

doc:Work
log:semantics

nor is there any requirement that the URI be of rdf:type owl:Ontology.

I understand the above are N3 constructs, but I don't think this issue has
anything to do with owl:imports as specified by the OWL Semantics. The fact
that you removed your implementation of owl:imports was given as evidence
that there is some problem with owl:imports. I don't see the problem with
owl:imports itself -- i.e. when you are *implementing it* just dereference
the URI and load the triples you get into the KB.

Jonathan