Re: Fwd: OWL Test Cases and Species Validation

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:00:04 +0100
To: Sean Bechhofer <seanb@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>

Response wrt. point 2.

Sean Bechhofer wrote:

> Section 4.1 of S&AS details the mapping rules that translate abstract
> syntax to triples. Examination of the table shows that there are only
> three ways in which an intersectionOf triple can occur:
> 1) Due to a class definition
> 	Class(classID [Deprecated] partial
>       		annotation_1 ... annotation_m
> 		description_1 ... description_n)
> 2) Due to an intersectionOf expression
> 	intersectionOf(description_1 ... description_n)
> 3) Due to a restriction with multiple components:
> 	restriction(ID component_1 ... component_n)
> Now 2) and 3) are only available in OWL DL (See Section 2.3 of S&AS). So
> for an intersection to be valid in an OWL-Lite document, it must have come
> from the translation of a class definition, and (from the right hand side
> of the table in 4.1) it must therefore be the case that the subject of the
> intersectionOf triple is a classID. This is *not* the case in
> miscellaneous/consistent102, as the subject of the intersection is a blank
> node. So the ontology is not Lite.
> I guess the upshot of this is that the restriction listed in section 8.3
> of Reference is not quite strong enough -- it is not only the case that
> intersectionOf be used only on lists of length greater than one that
> contain only named classes and restrictions -- in addition intersectionOf
> cannot apply to blank nodes.

Sec. 8.3 of Reference also contains the following constraint on OWL Lite
(see just below the intersectionOf bullet):

* the object of rdf:type triples be named classes or restrictions;

so Ref is correct wrt. the test (102 has a blank node as object of

Having said that, there could be room for improving the description of
the Lite restrictions. However, I do not agree with Jeremy's proposed

Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> 2)
> http://www.w3.org/2002/03owlt/miscellaneous/consistent102
> The file is in OWL DL not OWL Lite.
> An analysis of sections 2 and 4 of S&AS shows that in OWL
 > Lite there are no blank nodes of type owl:Class.

The last statement is incorrect, as Lite allows (only) blank nodes of
type owl:Restriction, a subclass of owl:Classs. Note also that the
mapping rules for restrictions in Sec. 4.2 of S$AS have an optional
"rdf:type owl:Class" triple. Therefore I propose to add the following
statement to Ref, Sec. 83.

Blank nodes representing classes should be of type owl:Restriction.

and adapt the response accordingly.

The addition is just for clarity: it is already implied by the
constraints listed in 8.3.

> Cheers,
> 	Sean

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718