W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > August 2003

MINUTES Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group - August 21 20 03

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:22:19 -0500
Message-ID: <2928D6FE55D5584390909578CAC8397D011EF58A@usplm216.txpln.us.eds.com>
To: Charles.White@networkinference.com, Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl, Frederik.Brysse@ivisgroup.com, Jean-Francois.Baget@inrialpes.fr, Jerome.Euzenat@inrialpes.fr, Jonathan@openhealth.org, Laurent.Olivry@edf.fr, StantonJ@ncr.disa.mil, StephenB@stilo.com, barnettj@ncr.disa.mil, bernard.horan@sun.com, bernard.vatant@mondeca.com, connolly@w3.org, david_trastour@hp.com, david_trastour@hplb.hpl.hp.com, daml@lassila.org, dder@ecs.soton.ac.uk, dieter@cs.vu.nl, dlm@ksl.stanford.edu, e.motta@open.ac.uk, ewallace@cme.nist.gov, finin@cs.umbc.edu, francesco.iannuzzelli@ivisgroup.com, heflin@cse.lehigh.edu, hendler@cs.umd.edu, herman.ter.horst@philips.com, horim@res.kutc.kansai-u.ac.jp, horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk, jdale@fla.fujitsu.com, jeremy_carroll@hp.com, jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, jyanosy@motorola.com, lobrst@mitre.org, lynn.stein@olin.edu, lynne.thompson@unisys.com, maedche@fzi.de, massimo@w3.org, mdean@bbn.com, Mike Smith <michael.smith@eds.com>, mp@stilo.com, ms@mitre.org, natasha.kravtsova@philips.com, nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk, ora.lassila@nokia.com, peter.crowther@networkinference.com, pfps@research.bell-labs.com, phayes@ai.uwf.edu, ruediger.klein@daimlerchrysler.com, sandro@w3.org, sb@stilo.com, schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl, seanb@cs.man.ac.uk, shimizu@intap.or.jp, sintek@dfki.uni-kl.de, stantonj@ncr.disa.mil, volz@fzi.de, welty@us.ibm.com, yasser.alsafadi@philips.com, ziv@unicorn.com
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

MINUTES  Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group
Aug 21, 2003, 1200 (East US), 0900 (West US). 1700 (London)

Bridge: +1.617.761.6200 passcode 9326#.
IRC Chat: irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665), #webont

Chair : Initially McGuinness.  Jim Hendler took over as indicated.
Scribe: Michael Smith

0. ACTION ITEMS.

ACTION: Peter Patel-Schneider: to look over Jeremy's B1 B2 proof
revision. Continued until next week.

ACTION: Jeremy to send his discussion of some of the issues re
xml:lang and literals to WG.

ACTION: Guus S. will review.

ACTION: Guus Schreiber will send some examples of use of xml:lang to
webont mailing list.

ACTION: Jeremy C. to study DL 909 and report back.

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Report PELLET status re complete OWL Lite
consistency checkers

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Report Cerebra and Racer status re complete OWL Lite
consistency checkers

ACTION: Charles White will collect data on test detail. Send him lists
of test you have passed.

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Report Pellet status re complete OWL Lite
consistency checkers

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Report Cerebra, Racer, Vampire and FaCT status
re complete OWL Lite consistency checkers

ACTION: Sandro - Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWL
Full.

ACTION: Joss de Roo - Sandro will ask him to report reasoning status
of Euler.

ACTION: Jeremy - Will ask Dave Reynolds re reasoner status over useful
subsets of OWL Full.

ACTION: Sean B. - Report officially on species validation syntactic
checks.

ACTION: Peter Patel-Schneider - Will report on DL once problem with
Galex fixed (exp. in a week).

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Confirm that Network Inference passes all owl
syntax checks.

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Check with Bijan re owl syntax checkers passing
all tests

ACTION: Dan C. - Add links to implementation report describing Guus'
summary from editors meeting and Jeremy email.

ACTION: Jim will report back on status of Gene Ontology Consortium re
OWL.


1. ADMINISTRIVIA

Role Call 

Jean-François Baget, Sean Bechhofer, Jeremy Carroll, Dan Connolly, 
Mike Dean, Jérôme Euzenat, Sandro Hawke, Jeff Heflin, James Hendler, 
Masahiro Hori, Ian Horrocks, Deborah McGuinness, Peter
Patel-Schneider, Guus Schreiber, Michael Smith, Evan Wallace, 
Charles White.

Regrets:
None received due to mail outage - check mail archive when repaired.

APPROVED Minutes of Aug 7:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Aug/0029.html

Telecon schedule:
Aug 28    NO telecon
Sep 4 -   Telecon, chair Connolly, scribe Jeremy 

Other agenda items.
Added by Jeremy Carroll - additional tests during CR period.
Added by Ian - Should all tests be required for conformance.


2. ACTION ITEM REVIEW

ACTION: Peter Patel-Schneider: to look over Jeremy's B1 B2 proof
revision.
CONTINUED until next week.

EVENT: Jim Hendler took over as chair.


3. CR Director's Decision - owl:imports

> OWL is now at CR (pause for cheering and congrats)
> Director's Decision (Member-readable only)
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2003JulSep/0024.html
> Summary of discussion on CR request telecon and discussion of 
> owl:imports (Guus or Dan to summarize)

Discussed.

Discussed syntax checking.

Sean B. - Passes all species validation syntactic checks (as of 20
minutes before meeting).

Peter Patel-Schneider - Passes all DL, modulo XML entities (problem
with Galex).

Ian - Network Inference can pass all.

EVENT: Charles White joined
EVENT: Mike Dean joined

Re Imports:
Dan - Wants to check how well it works, can it be broken.


4. WOWG scheduling/RDF Dependency

> RDF caught in a bind due in part to I18N objection.  
> WOWG needs to be aware of issue.
> Note: WOWG cannot move to PR until RDF Core does - 
>  we need to point at their documents discussion of whether 
>  there is anything we can/should do to help RDF Core WG.

I18N (internationalization) objecting to post last-call decision.

EVENT: Guus S. joined.

Sandro - RE design for literals in RDF core LC.  Design didn't work
for our WG.  As a result, XML literal equality was simplified.
Dropped xml:lang from literals.  I18N deems this a significant and
consequential change.

Jeremy - Majority of RDF WG inclined to go to CR with this aspect
labeled as at risk.

ACTION: Jeremy to send his discussion of some of these issues to WG.

ACTION: Guus S. will review.

Jim H. noted that coordination group thought examples of xml:lang in
use would be helpful.

ACTION: Guus Schreiber will send some examples to webont mailing list.


5. Additional tests during CR period. (Added at req. of Jeremy Carroll)

Chair Question - Have we gotten requests for tests?  

Jeremy C. - No.  No external pressure to change this.  QA test
document argues for systematic evaluation of spec leading to
systematic generation of test cases.  Jeremy thinking about
issue-based test generation.

Jeremy/Jim - All proposed test will either be moved to actual,
obsolete or extra credit.


6. Should all tests be required for conformance. (Added at req. of Ian
Horrocks)

DL 909. 100 x 10^12 cases or something.  Tests whether system knows
the difference between finite and infinite.  Initial consensus seemed
to be this should be extra credit, with this size number.  Jeremy
suggested amending to be a smaller number.

ACTION: Jeremy C. to study DL 909.

REMINDER: Members who know of implementations be sure to notify chairs.


7. How to we stand re CR exit criteria. (Added at req. of Guus Schreiber)

> finish resolving dependency on RDF Core specs, esp. RDF Semantics 

Already discussed.  See above.

> two complete OWL Lite consistency checkers (i.e. 2 which pass almost
> all OWL Lite consistency and inconsistency tests and moreover claim
> logical completeness)

Should add link to spec.

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Report Pellet status re complete OWL Lite
consistency checkers

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Report Cerebra and Racer status re complete OWL
Lite consistency checkers

> each test (except the extra credit tests) is demonstrated to be
> passed by some implementation

ACTION: Charles White will collect detailed data on test detail. Send
him lists of test you have passed.

> two reasoners implementing (different) substantial subsets of OWL DL 

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Report Pellet status re complete OWL Lite
consistency checkers

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Report Cerebra, Racer, Vampire and FaCT status
re complete OWL Lite consistency checkers

> two reasoners implementing useful subsets of OWL Full and passing at
> least 80% of the positive entailment tests

ACTION: Sandro - Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWL
Full.

ACTION: Joss de Roo - Sandro will ask him to report reasoning status.

ACTION: Jeremy - Ask Dave Reynolds re reasoner status re useful
subsets of OWL Full.

> two owl syntax checkers passing all tests 

ACTION: Sean B. - Report officially on species validation syntactic
checks.

ACTION: Peter Patel-Schneider - Will report on DL once problem with
Galex fixed (exp. in a week).

ACTION: Ian Horrocks - Confirm that Network Inference passes all owl
syntax checks.

ACTION: Jim Hendler - Check with Bijan re owl syntax checkers passing
all tests

ACTION: Dan C. - Add links to implementation report describing Guus'
summary from editors meeting and Jeremy email.


8. Other Business

Dan C. - Did Google search for ontology projects NOT mentioning OWL.  
He commented on two.

a) [Gene Ontology Consortium] - Dan thinks (hopes) they should be
using OWL.  Jim is working on that.  Ian is also.

ACTION: Jim H. will report back on status of Gene Ontology Consortium 
re OWL.

Jim H. - Open Gene Ontology Consortium supports their own language,
something else, and OWL.

b) [Ontology.org] - McGuiness notes they are not very active.
Web pages dated 2000.


9. Adjourned.
Received on Friday, 22 August 2003 18:07:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:02 GMT