Re: possible semantic bugs concerning domain and range

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:01:03 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

pat hayes wrote:

> The above entailment strikes me as completely wrong, both formally
> and intuitively. For example, all properties, on this view, have the
> universe as their range. It basically makes range assertions into
> un-assertions: their only utility would be enable one to guess (not
> infer) from the lack of a range assertion that something probably
> wasn't in the range.

Since multiple rdfs:range's  are conjunctive, then all properties _should_
have the universe as a compontent of their range, that is, knowing nothing
else, the universe is the default rdfs:range, and it becomes intersected
with any other rdfs:range restrictions.

My intuition tells me that this would be easier to understand if rdfs:range
were disjunctive, but who knows, maybe its just confusing regardless. I
suspect that your intuition also tells you it is "completely wrong" because
your intuition also gravitates toward _disjunctive semantics_ for multiple
rdfs:ranges, but that's just my suspicion. In any case we should red flag
this for the primer.

Jonathan