possible semantic bugs concerning domain and range

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:21:42 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Cc: pfps@research.bell-labs.com

Ah, it occurs to me that one of the bugs that Peter may have been
referring to is my use of rdfs:range and rdfs:domain.  Peter
apparently believes that the RDFS semantics for these are wrong and
need correcting. However, I disagree, and do not propose to alter
them in the RDFS MT. If OWL needs to use different notions then OWL
should introduce and use owl:domain and owl:range rather than use the
RDFS vocabulary. I would however suggest that the adoption of a
different mechanism at such a basic level might be a decision which
should be examined very carefully, as it has many repercussions (eg
for datatyping mechanisms). I havn't seen any good arguments for it,
which is why I simply used the RDFS notions in the document.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax