SEM: Re: oneOf (2.4) - medical use case

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:26:09 -0400
To: "Deborah McGuinness" <dlm@KSL.Stanford.EDU>, "Ian Horrocks" <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

Perhaps this is out of order for the current issue but I have a use case
requirement that is related to "oneOf" or whatever it's name become (so
shoot me if you can find me :-)

Suppose the single membered class defined by:

oneOf(individualPatient)

where "individualPatient" is some individual with a collection of symptoms,
signs and lab tests

Given this and an ontology e.g. GALEN or SNOMED, I'd like a reasoner to be
able to entail:

sameClassAs(mostSpecificDiagnosticClass)

this would essentially allow (or start to allow) an OWL reasoner to do
medical diagnosis given a properly specified individual and a properly
written ontology.

That would be really really cool.

Will that happen given the various semantics proposals and language
features. Any semantics that will allow this I would be happy with. Any set
of language features that would allow this with a real set of diagnostic
classes (e.g. GALEN, SNOMED etc.) I would be happy with.

Jonathan