Re: semantics document revised

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:11:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Pat's new version is considerably better than the previous one, but it
still has serious problems that make the claim in section 4.3 false,
including:
- The conditions on rdfs:domain, rdfs:range, rdfs:subClassOf, and
  rdfs:subPropertyOf are too weak.
- There are many divergences between the constructs described in the
  document and the constructs of OWL.
- The definition of sameXXAs, and some other OWL constructs, should be iff,
  perhaps restricted to owl:Thing.  If not restricted to owl:Thing, then
  the domains and ranges of the properties have to be removed.
- Restrictions have to be relative to owl:Thing.

The treatment of lists is much stronger than needed for OWL.

Ian and I pointed out most of these problems on Friday, and, indeed, most
of them have been pointed out before.