why 4.3 Structured Datatypes should wait

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 23 Oct 2002 13:37:53 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

In short: because the XML Schema WG hasn't
yet decided how XML schema components fit
into URI space.

* TAG interested in progress on URIs for schema components (NUNs)
Dan Connolly (Thu, Oct 17 2002)

To elaborate a bit, yes, it would be nice to say...

 @prefix : <http://example/vocab#>.
 @prefix xs: <http://www.w3.org/???/xmlschema-components#>.

 :description rdfs:domain :Product;
   rdfs:range :ProductDescription.

 :ProductDescription a xs:ElementDeclaration;
   xs:name "desc";
   xs:typeDefinition [ a xs:ElementOnly;
     xs:contentModel [ xs:sequence (:name :photoref :blurb)].

so that
    <photo ref="supercam1.jpg"/>
    <blurb>best camera since sliced bread!</blurb>

was an element of the class :ProductDescription.

In fact, there's a nifty UML diagram in the XML Schema spec,
and if our UML/OWL stuff works out, it should be a slam-dunk
to model stuff like schema components and properties,
and to say that XML Schema documents have the corresponding
RDF graph semantics.

But the bad news is: the current XML Schema specs
don't determine URIs for schema components such
as :ProductDescription. They get as far as
a (namespace name, localname, whichsortathing) tuple,
but they don't tell you the name for the thing.

I suppose we could write an expression for
"the element declaration schema component with
localname 'desc' in the namespace 'http://example/vocab' "

  [ a xs:ElementDeclaration;
     xs:name "desc";
     xsmap:namespace <http://example/vocab>

but... is that what you really want to do?

So I'd like to keep 4.3 postponed; perhaps
our requirements document should show this
as a goal we didn't meet... or more straightforwardly:
let the issues list cite this message, and
let an update of the requirement document cite all the
postponed issues, as we go to last call.