Re: owl:LiteOntology?

At 3:32 PM -0400 10/22/02, Mike Dean wrote:
>I notice that we currently have no way of indicating to
>tools (e.g. an "OWL Lite Validator" which checks for
>sublanguage conformance) which level of the ontology
>language the ontology author intends to be using.  As a
>lightweight means of accomplishing this, I propose that we
>define subclasses of owl:Ontology corresponding to each of
>the language levels (with whatever names we eventually
>choose).
>
>	Mike

Mike - how about instead of subclasses, we simply invent a "keyword"
field.  My reason for preferring this is that it then becomes
extensible - but also because if it will be easier for a tool to scan
for ontology declarations if it doesn't need to do inferencing to get
there.

I'd suggest something like

<owl:ontology  owl:level="lite" rdf:about="">
   <owl:imports .../>
   <owl:version .../>
</owl:ontology>

If I've read the new RDF documents correctly, this is legal, clean
and an easy way to provide that mechanism.
  -JH
p.s. I can live with the subclassing, just find this somewhat
preferable as it will make things a little easier for my tool
builders.