W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > November 2002

ADMIN: Minutes of Oct. 31 Telecon

From: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:43:48 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.4.44.0211011737530.11367-100000@mail.ilrt.bris.ac.uk>


Thanks to Chris Welty for taking over for me when I had to leave towards
the end. Apolgies for any innaccuracies over what was discussed - I
found moving between different parts of the agenda a bit confusing.

Libby


Minutes of October 31, 2002 Telecon

WEB ONTOLOGY WORKING GROUP
October 31, 2002

Agenda/Logistics
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0271.html

Quotes and attributions are approximate.
See chat log for details:
http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/webont/2002-10-31.html (and last 2
minutes below, as scribe was disconnected from irc)

Chair: Jim Hendler
Scribe: Libby Miller/Chris Welty

SUMMARY

RESOLUTIONS

1) RESOLVED: minutes of 2002-10-24 ACCEPTED, amended to say issue 4.3 is
reopened.

2) RESOLVED: to meet one week hence

3) RESOLVED (to postpone?) issue 4.4 by consensus as amended ("extra-logical
features other than versioning and imports")

4) RESOLVED to postpone issue 5.7

5) RESOLVED: to use OWL DL, OWL Full, OWL Lite, by consensus.
4 abstentions - pfps, pat, herman, massimo


NEW ACTIONS

1) NEW ACTION: Jonathan Borden to write up a proposal for issue 4.3

2) NEW ACTION Jim Hendler to check Lynn Thompson is scribe for next week

3) NEW ACTION: Massimo Marchiori will put up Registration page

4) NEW ACTION: Dan Connolly to write up the 'all different' proposal for
issue 5.18

5) NEW ACTION Jeremy Carroll to write up proposal for "reduced semantics in
OWL Lite"

6) NEW ACTION Mike Smith: send Guide draft today


ACTIONS DONE

1) DONE - ACTION: Ian will put up local arrangements page for next f2f:
Hotel info, etc. http://wonderweb.semanticweb.org/mcr-f2f.shtml

2) DONE - ACTION: Chris Welty, Mike Smith, other relevant working draft
editors to update drafts for issue 5.21 "Drop disjointUnionOf".

3) DONE - ACTION Chairs: see if Ziv wishes to push Issue 5.7 or Postpone
  Jim H. has discussed w/Ziv - no specific proposal at this time

ONGOING ACTIONS

1) ONGOING - ACTION: Guus to collect info about remote access arrangements
for next f2f

2) ONGOING - ACTION: Chairs Guus and Jim: discuss 5.5 List syntax or
semantics in RDF CORE, Semantic Web Coordination

ACTIONS WITHDRAWN

1) WITHDRAWN - ACTION: Dan Connolly will put up Registration page

2) WITHDRAWN - ACTION: Hayes - send e-mail opposing deprecation (Issue 5.14
- Ontology versioning).


ACTIONS/ISSUES NOT DISCUSSED (as far as scribe could tell)

NOT DISCUSSED - Issue I5.19 Classes-as-instances
ACTION: Guus, Frank: to move the issue forward, will write up 1-d
and 2-d views to make clearer to users.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Test document (Carroll, de Roo)
ACTION: All editors: Every new draft, apply same rule: Web Ontology
Language (OWL) and then reference version (1.1.0).
ACTION: Jeremy to send out new form of rule, with version, etc.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Guide document
(Smith et al.) ACTION: Chris Welty to review
ACTION: Mike Smith to forward revised ontologies to Jeremy.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Feature synopsis (McGuinness, van
Harmelen) ACTION: Guus and Frank to offer suggestions on how synopsis,
reference document should be updated about 3 languages and their
relationships.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - OWL Reference (Dean)
ACTION: Mike Dean will have new version by next telecon, Oct. 31.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Semantics document (Hayes,
Patel-Schneider)
  ACTION: Peter will produce an outline with pointers.
(see below)

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Non-normative Appendices
XML presentation syntax (Patel-Schneider)
  ACTION: Guus to put on agenda for next week, Oct. 31, look up who
has reviewed it.

NOT DISCUSSED - UML presentation syntax (Schreiber, Wallace)
ACTION: Chairs to put off until next telecon, Oct. 31.

Semantics  (Peter P-S, 15 min)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0204.html
NOT DISCUSSED (as far as I can tell)


DETAIL

1) ADMIN (10 min)


1.1 Roll call

INRIA - no
Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) - no
Network Inference - no
Ivis Group, Limited - no
Stilo Technology - no
Hewlett Packard Company - Carroll
W3C - Connolly, Marchiori
Fujitsu Limited - regrets from Dale
Agfa-Gevaert N. V. - de Roo
University of Southampton - no regrets from Gibbins
Stanford - McGuinness (Decker no longer represents Stanford)
Philips Electronics N.V. - Eshelman
Ibrow - Schreiber, van Harmelen
Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab at the University of Maryland - Hendler
Unicorn Solutions Inc. - Hellman
Sun Microsystems, Inc. - no
IBM Corporation - Hori, Welty
Ivis Group Limited - no
Daimler Chrysler Research and Technology - Klein
Philips Electronic N.V. - no
Nokia - no
Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI) - no
University of Bristol - Miller
MITRE - Obrst, Sabbouh
EDF (Electricite De France) - regrets(?)
Lucent Technologies - Patel-Schneider
Interoperability Technology Association for Information Processing, Japan (INTAP) - excused
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) Gmbh - Sintek
Electronic Data System (EDS) - Smith
Unisys Corporation - regrets (Thompson)
National Institute of Standards and technology - Wallace
Motorola Corp. - no
Borden
Dean
Hayes
Heflin
Stein - regrets

---


Regrets:

Ian Horrocks
Nick Gibbins
Lynne Thompson
Lynn Andrea Stein
Raphael Volz
Jonathan Dale

1.2 Minutes previous telecon

Proposal to accept as a true record of the Oct 24 telecon:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0198.html

NEW ACTION: Jonathan Borden to write up a proposal for issue 4.3
RESOLVED: minutes of 2002-10-24 ACCEPTED, amended to say issue 4.3 is
reopened.

1.3 Agenda amendments

none

1.4 Telecon schedule

- next telecon: Nov 7 per regular schedule
- scribe for Nov 7: Lynn Thompson

NEW ACTION Jim Hendler to check Lynn Thompson is scribe for next week
RESOLVED: to meet one week hence

1.6 Upcoming ftf meetings

- Manchester ftf - any updates

ONGOING - ACTION: Guus to collect info about remote access arrangements

DONE - ACTION: Ian will put up local arrangements page: Hotel info, etc.
http://wonderweb.semanticweb.org/mcr-f2f.shtml

WITHDRAWN - ACTION: Dan Connolly will put up Registration page
NEW ACTION: Massimo Marchiori will put up Registration page


2) ACTION ITEM REVIEW (10 min)

  Issue 5.21 "Drop disjointUnionOf"
DONE - ACTION: Chris Welty, Mike Smith, other relevant working draft
editors to update drafts for issue 5.21 "Drop disjointUnionOf".

  Issue 5.5 List syntax or semantics
ONGOING - ACTION: Chairs Guus and Jim: discuss 5.5 List syntax or
semantics in RDF CORE, Semantic Web Coordination

NOT DISCUSSED - Issue I5.19 Classes-as-instances
ACTION: Guus, Frank: to move the issue forward, will write up 1-d
and 2-d views to make clearer to users.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Test document (Carroll, de Roo)
ACTION: All editors: Every new draft, apply same rule: Web Ontology
Language (OWL) and then reference version (1.1.0).
ACTION: Jeremy to send out new form of rule, with version, etc.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Guide document
(Smith et al.) ACTION: Chris Welty to review
ACTION: Mike Smith to forward revised ontologies to Jeremy.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Feature synopsis (McGuinness, van
Harmelen) ACTION: Guus and Frank to offer suggestions on how synopsis,
reference document should be updated about 3 languages and their
relationships.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - OWL Reference (Dean)
ACTION: Mike Dean will have new version by next telecon, Oct. 31.

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Semantics document (Hayes,
Patel-Schneider)
  ACTION: Peter will produce an outline with pointers.
(see below)

NOT DISCUSSED - DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW - Non-normative Appendices
XML presentation syntax (Patel-Schneider)
  ACTION: Guus to put on agenda for next week, Oct. 31, look up who
has reviewed it.

NOT DISCUSSED - UML presentation syntax (Schreiber, Wallace)
ACTION: Chairs to put off until next telecon, Oct. 31.

SEE ABOVE  - Issue 5.5 List syntax or semantics
ACTION Jeremy Carroll: will move issue 5.5 forward

3) ISSUES (40 min)

3.1 - ISSUES WITH PROPOSALS FOR CLOSURE:


Issue 4.4 extra-logical feature set
Proposal to POSTPONE:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0221.html
RESOLVED (to postpone?) issue 4.4 by consensus as amended ("extra-logical
features other than versioning and imports")

Issue 5.7 Range restrictions should not be separate URIs
DONE - ACTION Chairs: see if Ziv wishes to push Issue 5.7 or Postpone
  Jim H. has discussed w/Ziv - no specific proposal at this time
Proposal to Postpone 5.7
RESOLVED to postpone issue 5.7

3.1 - ISSUES PENDING CLOSURE PROPOSALS (~ 30 min total)

Issue 5.13 Internet Media Type for OWL
application/rdf+xml vs. application/owl(+rdf?+xml?)
Discussion of issue (Connolly)
See: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0162.html
and following thread

NEW ACTION Jonathan Borden to write proposed document text based on Dan
Connolly's text in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0287.html
Suggestion is to remove "i.e. to accept responsibility for it as if you
had translated it to natural language said/asserted the result"

Issue 5.14 - Ontology versioning
WITHDRAWN - ACTION: Hayes - send e-mail opposing deprecation (Issue 5.14
- Ontology versioning).
Discussion of issue (Heflin)

Issue 5.18 support for unique names assumption
Discussion of issue (Hendler)
see: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0185.html
NEW ACTION: Dan Connolly to write up the 'all different' proposal for issue
5.18

Issue 5.19 Classes-as-instances
Discussion of issue (Guus, Frank)
ACTION Jeremy: to do test case for 5.19
[includes discussion of names for OWL subsets]
DISCUSSION POSTPONED until next week

Issue: hasValue
Discussion of issue (McGuinness)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0196.html
NEW ACTION Jeremy Carroll to write up proposal for "reduced semantics in OWL
Lite"


4) DOCUMENT STATUS REVIEW (20 min)

Guide (Smith, 5 min)
Status Update
NEW ACTION Mike Smith: send Guide draft today

Semantics  (Peter P-S, 15 min)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0204.html
NOT DISCUSSED (as far as I can tell)

5) AOB (0-5 min)


RESOLVED: to use OWL DL, OWL Full, OWL Lite, by consensus. abstaining:
4 abstentions - pfps, pat, herman, massimo

----

raw log

http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/webont/2002-10-31.html

plus

DLM doesn't have time to include OWL DL in features
MikeD doesn't have any dependencies for the Reference Document he is
waiting for
Guus regarding presentation of different language levels, discussed with
FvH, for Features
Guus one dimensional or two dimensional proposal of presentation?
Dan features isn't going to treat the issue
Guus we did decide to treat this in features
Dan MikeS has written up a one dimensional treatment for Guide
Jim: Feature synopsis will not include dicussion of language levels
Meeting adjourned at 1:43

---end
Received on Friday, 1 November 2002 12:46:50 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:55 GMT