Re: syntactic restrictions on RDF graphs

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 20:21:59 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Peter F. "Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org
I've added this as an issue to our issues list:

and will schedule its consiseration by the RDFCore WG as soon as possible.

> > Of course, this paragraph goes against some later decisions, as it
> > explicitly forbids holes in collections, which are now explicitly allowed.
>Right; it seems to me that we've decided to allow this.
>But perhaps unconsciously.

As I recall this was a deliberate decision.  It was based on a view that
the formal model in M&S was describing a given container has an abstract
existence - the platonic container if you like, and that it was quite
permissable for RDF graphs to represent partial knowledge of such a
container, i.e. that containers are specifically not syntactic
constructs.  The inclusion of this statement in the formal model section
makes more sense when viewed in that light.