RE: SEM: semantics for current proposal (why R disjoint V?) (sameState TEST)

On April 29, Jeremy Carroll writes:
> > Unfortunately, the interaction of UnambiguousProperty and datatypes
> > makes this problematical. Imagine, for example, that a datatype
> > consisting of integers in the range 0-999 is used as a unique-id/key
> > for instances of the class Person such that all persons have exactly
> > one unique-id, all unique-ids are integers in the range 0-999, and
> > unique-id is an UnambiguousProperty.  In order to function correctly,
> > a reasoner is now required to understand the properties of datatypes,
> > e.g., that the cardinality of this particular datatype is 1,000, and
> > that as a result no model can contain more than 1,000 instances of
> > Person (note that this would not be the case if unique-ids were reals
> > in the range 0-999).

You are missing the crucial point that the reasoner has to know about
the properties of the datatype (i.e., that there are exactly 1,000
integers in the range 0-999, neither more nor less) and may also need
to consider complex interactions resulting from the predicates defined
on the datatypes. This is what makes the formal properties unclear and
could lead to decidability problems.

In contrast, the maxCardinality of the class of one-thousand URIs is
inherent in its definition, and there are no additional predicates to
worry about.

You are right in saying that the intractability problem would still be
there with the 1,000 individuals class.

Ian