Re: LANG: A proposal for the layering problem

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 28 Mar 2002 10:48:46 -0600
To: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
Cc: WebOnt <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 10:22, Jeff Heflin wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Can you describe what you don't like about my proposal?
[...]

> Let me try to refute the likely arguments in favor of building on top of
> RDF schema:

None of those is the critical one.

The ciritical one is: partial understanding, as explained in [extlang].
Briefly: the common syntax of RDF allows agents of various
capabilities to extract the same set of facts from a document.

If, in order to introduce properties and classes
(such as disjointWith or UnambiguousProperty)
we have to change our syntax for stating facts, we lose this.

[extlang]
 Web Architecture: Extensible Languages
  W3C Note 10 Feb 1998
This Version:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-webarch-extlang-19980210
Latest Version:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-webarch-extlang
Authors:
    Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> W3C
  Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> W3C

esp the aircraft purchase order scenario
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-webarch-extlang-19980210#Scenario