TEST: entailment test cases

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 12:03:35 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Cc: Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk
The stuff about entailment test cases in RDFCore is in progress
and Jan Grant is involved with an updated test cases document
which describes how entailment tests work.

I've been playing with that stuff, and will try to describe briefly
what we have been doing.

Looking at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Feb/0022.html
we have a manifest file or a set of statements that we want to be satisfied.

So let's take one of those statements

( <http://www.agfa.com/w3c/rdf/rdfs-transitive-subSubProperty/test003.nt>
  <http://www.agfa.com/w3c/rdf/rdfs-transitive-subSubProperty/test004.nt>
  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>
  <http://www.w3.org/2001/10/daml+oil#> )
  log:entails
  <http://www.agfa.com/w3c/rdf/rdfs-transitive-subSubProperty/test001.nt> .

The ( :a :b ) is N3 shorthand for
  _:lhs1 owl:first :a .
  _:lhs1 owl:rest _:lhs2 .
  _:lhs2 owl:first :b .
  _:lhs2 owl:rest owl:nil .
The :a and :b are URI's pointing to ntriple resources which
could/should be "everywhere" on the web, but it's best to have
some means of local caching to improve test performance
[[
  we happen to take C:\x\y\z if we get a Java
  UnknownHostException during GET http:/x/y/z
]]
Those URI's are enough for SIMPLE-entailment
but if we want to have RDFS-entailment, we include
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> which is a
means to refer to the Model Theory RDFS-entailment rules
and similarly for OWL-entailment we include
<http://www.w3.org/2001/10/daml+oil#>

So the log:entails has builtin the appropriate collecting
and dereferencing of uris-to-set-of-ntriples.

The RHS of log:entails is a single uri pointing to a set-of-ntriples
(the ones that should be entailed)

Manifests could include other manifests, such as e.g.

( )
  log:entails
  <http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/entailment/etc001.n3> .

Negative entailment tests can be done via log:notEntails
but we should take care that that is tractable.

--
Jos De Roo