Re: Layering on the Semantic Web

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:36:49 +0100
To: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

Frank van Harmelen wrote:
> Two reasons for only partial compatability:
> - syntactic: we're not sure if we can organise the XML syntax to "include" a/some/all of the RDF Schema serialisations.
> - semantic: as you know, the RDF Schema model contains some oddities (classes as members of classes, etc). We might want to make the OWL meta-model simpler.

Be careful here. The "oddity" of treating a class an an instance of
another (meta)class is actually a representation requirement coming out
of some of the use cases (e.g. "species" as metaclass of "mammal"). The
flexible class/instance distinction is in fact the most powerful feature
of RDF Schema (from my perspective).

Guus

--
A. Th. Schreiber, SWI, University of Amsterdam, Roetersstraat 15
NL-1018 WB Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Tel: +31 20 525 6793